Jaggery caramel sauce is a delightful and nutritious twist on the classic caramel sauce, made with jaggery instead of refined sugar. This natural sweetener not only adds a rich, distinctive flavor to the sauce but also offers numerous health benefits. In this article, we will guide you through the recipe for making jaggery caramel sauce and share ideas on where you can use this versatile topping to enhance your favorite desserts.
- 1 cup jaggery, grated or finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt or Himalayan pink salt (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the grated or finely chopped jaggery with water. Heat the mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the jaggery dissolves completely.
- Once the jaggery has dissolved, stop stirring and let the mixture cook undisturbed until it reaches a deep amber color. This should take about 10-12 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on the saucepan to prevent the jaggery from burning.
- When the jaggery mixture has achieved the desired color, carefully add the room temperature heavy cream, stirring continuously. The mixture will bubble up, so be cautious while adding the cream.
- Once the cream is fully incorporated, remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the butter pieces, one at a time, until smooth and glossy.
- Stir in the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt (if using) to enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- Allow the jaggery caramel sauce to cool slightly before using it. As the sauce cools, it will thicken to the perfect consistency for drizzling or pouring.
Where to Use Jaggery Caramel Sauce:
This delightful sauce can be used in various ways to enhance the flavor of your favorite desserts:
- Ice Cream Topping: Drizzle the jaggery caramel sauce over your favorite ice cream flavor for a delectable and unique twist.
- Pancakes and Waffles: Elevate your breakfast experience by pouring jaggery caramel sauce over fluffy pancakes or crispy waffles.
- Cakes and Brownies: Use the sauce as a topping or a filling for cakes and brownies, adding a rich and distinctive sweetness.
- Fruit Dip: Pair the jaggery caramel sauce with fresh fruits like apples or pears for a delicious and relatively healthy snack.
- Yogurt Parfaits: Layer jaggery caramel sauce with yogurt and granola for a delightful and satisfying parfait.
- Coffee and Tea: Stir a spoonful of jaggery caramel sauce into your coffee or tea for a flavorful and indulgent twist.
- Health Benefits of Consuming Jaggery: A Holistic Perspective
- The Benefits of Using Jaggery and Jaggery Powder in Indian Cuisine
In conclusion, jaggery caramel sauce is a heavenly and versatile topping that can elevate a wide range of desserts. By using jaggery instead of refined sugar, you can enjoy the unique flavor and health benefits of this natural sweetener. So, try making jaggery caramel sauce at home and transform your favorite treats into delightful and healthier indulgences.