Jaggery rice pudding, also known as Gur ke Chawal or Gur Wale Chawal, is a delightful Indian dessert made with rice, jaggery, and aromatic spices. Ideal for any festive occasion or gathering, this dessert is not only scrumptious but also packed with health benefits, thanks to the use of jaggery as a sweetener. In this article, we will walk you through the recipe for making jaggery rice pudding and share tips on when and how to serve this delightful treat.
Ingredients: Jaggery Rice Pudding Recipe
- 1 cup basmati rice, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup jaggery, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk or coconut milk (optional)
- 1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, and pistachios), chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the soaked and drained basmati rice to the boiling water and cook until the rice is almost done (about 80% cooked).
- Drain the rice and set it aside. In the same saucepan, heat the ghee over medium heat.
- Add the chopped nuts and raisins to the ghee and sauté until the nuts turn golden and the raisins plump up. Remove half of the nuts and raisins from the pan and set aside for garnishing.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan with the remaining nuts and raisins. Mix gently to combine the rice with the nuts and raisins.
- Add the grated or finely chopped jaggery to the rice mixture, stirring gently until the jaggery melts and coats the rice evenly.
- If you prefer a creamier texture, stir in the milk or coconut milk at this point. Cook the rice pudding for an additional 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Finally, add the cardamom powder and nutmeg powder (if using) to the rice pudding, and mix well.
- Remove the jaggery rice pudding from heat and let it cool slightly. Garnish with the reserved nuts and raisins before serving.
When and How to Serve Jaggery Rice Pudding:
Jaggery rice pudding can be served on various occasions:
- Festive Celebrations: The delightful flavors and aroma of jaggery rice pudding make it a perfect dessert for festive occasions like Diwali, Holi, Eid, or Christmas.
- Family Gatherings: Serve jaggery rice pudding as a unique and delectable treat to impress your guests during family gatherings or dinner parties.
- Potlucks and Picnics: Prepare a batch of jaggery rice pudding to share with friends and loved ones at potlucks or picnics. The dessert can be enjoyed at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Serve jaggery rice pudding in small bowls or dessert cups, either warm or at room temperature, depending on your preference. You can also refrigerate the pudding and serve it chilled, especially during the warmer months. Garnish the dessert with additional nuts, raisins, or even a sprinkle of saffron strands for a touch of elegance.
- Jaggery Ladoo Recipe: A Healthy and Delicious Treat with Amazing Benefits
- Jaggery Caramel Sauce: A Delectable and Healthier Alternative to Traditional Caramel
In conclusion, jaggery rice pudding is a delicious and nutritious dessert suitable for any occasion. Its delightful blend of flavors and the numerous health benefits of jaggery make it a crowd-pleasing treat. So, whip up a batch of this heavenly dessert and indulge in its rich taste and satisfying texture, knowing that you’re serving a healthier alternative to traditional sugar-laden sweets.